Saturday, August 1, 2009

My speech at Charity Night...

Three to four days back, Spiff, the president of INTIMA asked me if I could give a short? speech on charity. I agreed. Last evening, while getting ready to attend the function, I planned my speech in my mind. Since it was expected to be a short one, I didn't want to carry the speech with me. I am more comfortable in spontaneous speeches than relying on manuscripts.

I knew I would change my speech while speaking, as I always do. That's what happened exactly. This time, the change was not only in my speech, but also in my tone, the reception, and the aura.

I think I finished my speech in less than two minutes. I missed out one or two points that I have mentioned here and added one or two on the spot and I spoke fast.

Once I finished, I felt I could have delivered in a more relaxed manner. It's done!

My observations on speech:

• Though it is a short speech, it is OK to carry the written speech with you, just in case.
• Eat and rest well before every speech however short the speech is and whatever is the occasion. Think this is the only chance to showcase your skill.
• Be ready for any kind of stage setup. I had difficulty for the first few seconds because of the focus light.
• The audience was invisible, because of the darkness. You may probably feel that you are speaking to no one since there is little feedback-except for some voices or laughter.
• Don't, don't involve in any kind of unpleasant activity few hours before your speech. Unpleasant I mean anything that would disturb your mind unless you have a strong will to ignore things. (I had to call someone to become normal after an argument with one of my friends).

Note on the MC:
• Apt voice for a MC.
• Lively Comments.

However, please consider the following for future (I wish you read this)
• Please be more creative in your style.
• Don't ever call anyone by their race, group or sect. (Avoid stereotyping).
• Say something nice or positive about everyone.

There is a risk in being too lively or friendly in Public Speech like emceeing. Just be careful.

When I reached home, I was wondering how true is the statement about public speaking. 'The Speech that I wanted to deliver, the one I delivered, the one I could have delivered'. ( by someone, sorry I forgot the name)

Bits:
• June said I looked extremely good yesterday.
• Stephen asked me if he could carry me to the stage.
• The Show was quite OK. Can bring in more varieties for future events.
• I wonder when we will change our Asian punctuality.
• Wonderful effort by some. I could see the stress and the satisfaction after the event.

My Speech:
"The greatest happiness on earth lies in making others happy"
I am impressed to see these young ambitious men who are making their life meaningful by bringing smile on the faces of the less fortunate, amidst of all the distractions that this world could offer.

Charity. Charity is a virtue in its essence. Charity is often perceived as a donation or offering to less fortunate or under fortunate. Charity has different names: philanthropy, benevolence, altruism, magnanimity and so on.

But, to me, it is simple giving. Give anything that is worth giving. Give them whatever possible, money, cloths, education, help, a shoulder, and most importantly your time. You will be remembered for ever. …. At the end of the day, we are not judged by the number of certificates that we received, or by the number of awards or medals, neither the promotions nor positions that speak of us. But it is the number of lives we have touched. That is what going to define us humans.

We have a wrong conception of charity. Donating when you have more, donating when you sin. Donating someone so that you will get blessings for your future, etc, etc. No, give just for giving sake and not expecting anything in return.

And, don’t feel proud in giving. As the great poet Galil Gibran says ‘See first that you yourself deserve to be a giver, and an instrument of giving" also as the saying goes..Your left hand should not know what your right hand is giving.

It is not what you give or how much you give, but it the thought of giving itself. And give unconditionally.

12 comments:

  1. Hi
    your speech is really great which is short and gives lot of information on how we give. I am impressed with your little speech, now which I am going to use same words where i am invited for charity anniversary, if you could able to help me please help with any of your new preparation. Thank you wish you all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a improptu speech, this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent speech referred several time to make speeches, put up more speeches

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mr/Ms Anonymous. Will try to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was searching for a speech to write until I came to this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.bigbusiness.com.my/

    ReplyDelete